Friday, July 7, 2017

Now Playing: Tekken 4

 AKA Now playing: My childhood.
 While I first came into contact with Tekken with Tekken 2, Tekken 3 was when I finally got to play it at the comfort of my house. Tekken Tag was bloody great, and then came Tekken 4, a thing of beauty. My boy, Kazuya, now featured this baddass formal clothes, and we had all this fantastic stages and fresh new designs for the rest of the cast...

 But sadly, most of the aesthetic changes would revert back to a more Tekken 3-ish design, most classic characters would return for no reason and the uneven terrain was axed for Tekken 5. Tekken 6 followed suit. If you asked me to differentiate between Tekken 5 and 6 I wouldn't be able to. And it's a shame, and that's why Tekken 4 feels like a proper sequel, while Tekken 5 feels like Tekken 3.5 and Tekken 6 like Tekken 3.8.

 As much as I liked both 3 and Tag, 4 was the game I had the most beloved memories of, and having played with both Xiaoyu and Hwoarang through story mode, I remembered why. Everything looks so good, so fresh, and not only thanks to the beautiful graphics, but thanks to the new character designs. Characters evolved and changed! The biggest flaw with the game is the existence of Tekken 5, 6, Tag 2 and 7, simply put, characters lack a ton of moves that they would eventually gain.

 That said, this game is a blast, and I would not subject myself anymore to the trash that is Battle for New York DS.

No comments:

Post a Comment