Monday, June 17, 2013

First Archimpressions: Tekken Revolution

 I'm so doing this.
 First things first, the Theme Song is amazing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KeKGVpMJnI, you're welcome. Second of all, what is Tekken Revolution? A free to play online game.
 The first question that popped into my mind, as I saw the trailer, was "Why do I want this if I have Tag 2?". After playing it, the same question remains. Almost 90% of the assets are from TTT2, even the menus look familiar. Character models are almost the same, I've seen some sort of cell-shading on screenshots, but I guess you need an HD TV to notice them( I could see some very thin lines, I think, but you have to search for them). I think Asuka actually has a different face.... Anyways, stages look the same as TTT2, but they have new lightin effects, not enough to feel different though.
 So, what's the difference between this game and TTT2? You only have 6 characters(At the moment) to pick, and some are unlockable by amassing points. The tag and bound mechanics are gone, instead, there are new unblockable and special moves, and they look fantastic. I only played Lars, and most of them are older existing moves, but they have some amazing FX that makes them look powerful and pretty. Are the new mechanics better? As a matter of fact, I like them, they make the game more approachable, due to their usefulness(Plus, characters with alternate stances are nowhere to be seen, dunno if Kazuya kept the Demon transformation, guess I oughta check!) plus, the effects are pure eye candy.
 Negatives? You enhance your character. So that will give unfair advantages to higher level players. Also, you can't play as much as you want. Arcade mode is governed by Arcade coins, up to 2 of them, and you get a new one every hour. Player matches consume Tickets, and they too refresh every now and then(And you get new ones by clearin arcade mode). And you there's no offline Multiplayer, plus, you can't play offline, not even Arcade mode.
 So, first impressions? I like the new special moves. I like the new lighting effects, makes the game a whole lot more colorful. I don't like the online requirement and the limitation on play time.

No comments:

Post a Comment