Wednesday, June 26, 2013

First Archimpressions: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

 Look at that beautiful box art. It looks much better in person, trust me.
 I've never been much of a Zelda fan. My first Zelda was Ocarina of Time, and afterwards I played through Link's Awakening DX, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past and Twilight Princess, but I never saw what everyone else saw in the series. To be fair, after my second playthrough of Twiligh Princess, I did love the game, but that's another story. Regardless, Skyward Sword was the first Zelda game I got excited about in the "I need to play this" kind of way(Before I even learned to love Twilight Princess), and here I am.
 First impressions? I just clocked two hours, and I'm loving it. I'm still torn on which opening to a Zelda game I prefer, this one or TP's. In this one, you are introduced to a wide variety of unique NPCs, and I'm loving th setting: People in the sky, a lifelong animal partner, a academy of Knights... I'm really digging it. What I'm not digging are the motion controls for the sake of having them. After the beautiful scene between Link and Zelda atop the statue, I was forced to land on a circle. Said scene was soon ruined by frustration at having to retry the fall, since falling is now controlled with motion controls. Fun, except not.
 Also, controlling Link sometimes is a bit sloppish due to the camera, nothing major, but it's a bit annoying. On the other hand, the soundtrack is downright epic, and the graphics? EHRMAGHEDDDDD, characters look very appealing, all featuring unique bodies and face types. And they are VERY expressive, I love them. All in all, despite my annoyances at the controls, I'm looking forwards to it, I hope it doesn't disappint.

No comments:

Post a Comment