Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Month Overview: January 2018

 Tally:
 Shadow of Rome 8.0
 Rise of the Argonauts 7.5
 God Hand 9.0
 Musashi - Samurai Legend 6.5
 Spec Ops - The Line 8.0
 Fear Effect 4.0
 Fear Effect 2 - Retro Helix 5.0
 Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time 9.0


 It's 2018 baby! Even though I started working and a programming course, meaning I'm out from 9 AM 'till 10 PM, I still managed to play a fair amount of games. Chiefly, I finally played the Fear Effect franchise!.... but I was not impressed, I can appreciate how mature and original its plot and characters were for its time, but it has aged very, very badly. I also got around God Hand and was pleasantly surprised, about how good it was, and surprisingly relieved at how overrated its difficulty was.
 I also started the PoP franchise, because Grandia Xtreme was so dull, and I was surprised at hot... lame I'm finding Warrior Within, considering how much I used to love it. And it has nothing to do with the tone shift, I'm quite OK with it actually. On the flip side, I absolutely adored the Sands of Time, despite its shortcomings.


 Runner-up:
 God Hand was bloody phenomenal. The humor was great, and funny if a bit offensive. The characters where interesting, ridiculously so. But the gameplay was weird... but amazing at the same time. It's a surprisingly deep game, albeit one that can only appeal to fans of beat'em up games.

 Game of January 2018:
 Alright, so it was a hard choice between God Hand and Prince of Persia, but PoP won the premise that it did so much more. God Hand excelled at the one thing it did: Beating up thugs, but Prince of Persia gave us an engaging adventure, fantastic platforming and OK combat, alongside some pretty unique mechanics. As far as I'm concerned, The Sands of Time is every bit as good as it once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment