Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Now Playing: Rengoku II - The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N.

 Now THIS is a Sequel.
 Rengoku was way more fun than it deserved to be. Probably thanks to the novelty of customizing an android in crazy ways, the magnum on the head being one of the most iconic pieces(No wonder it's featured in both games' intros!). Rengoku 2 feels like a proper sequel. I just finished the first floor, and already I've seen more objects and more variety in the environments, pretty neat. So far, I've only found the same weapons from the same game... actually, Mars dropped a new weapon, but the game has received a total face lift, and it looks great.

 Another thing that got a face lift was the combat, now you can produce combos by tapping different buttons(Limbs) to attack, it's still not even close to Dynasty Warriors' combo level, but it's appreciated. The first boss, Mars, also featured a completely unique body frame, unlike the first game's bosses, which... I'm not sure how much I like. I mean, it's nice that they made bosses more unique, but something about enemies being JUST like ADAM was very interesting. Which reminds me, Mars was the first game's first boss, and he is back? The opening made it seem as if it continues right where the other game left off... which means that the cycle continues! Adam is taking part of another cycle, climbing the same tower again! Cheap? Yes. Lazy? Definitely. But it also has some kind of charm, maybe how it follows the first game's continuity? I dunno, it kinda makes sense.

 Honestly, Rengoku 2 feels great. I very much doubt the gameplay is gonna change during the course of the seven floors I've left, but it's already a superior game than the first one, even if it feels like a bit of a ... reboot, and since ADAM might be fighting through another cycle, it might as well be one. Rengoku 2 is what Rengoku 1 could've been.

No comments:

Post a Comment