Thursday, September 17, 2026

Action Figure #903: STORM Arena Ryu

 Boring Karate Guy joins the fray!

 Much like Sagat, I didn't think I'd be buying STORM Arena's Ryu because I really don't care about Ryu and I already owned Jada's. But the more SA figures I purchased the more I liked the line and... well, am I lucky they decided to reissue their older releases!
 Same exact sculpt as Ken, but with a different paint job and a different head. It is a good sculpt though, and the anime style head does make Ryu seem a bit more interesting than he usually is. The only thing worth mentioning is that it seems Ryu tends to be a victim of yellowing after some months. Hasn't happened to mine, probably because it's brand spankin' new, but it's something to keep in mine.

 He comes with two fists, two Hadoken hands, two heads, a base and... a kinda pathetic Hadoken effect. C'mon, even Dan's got a better fireball game than him! Worth noting, is that while Dan keeps his hands just fine, this figure is just a reissue so it has the same exact issue as my Ken did: His left fist comes off very easily.
 Articulation is great all around. Elbows and knees are double jointed, he has swivels on his biceps, thighs and on the cut where his legs and pants meet. He has very generous butterfly joints, a ball jointed ab crunch, and a hinged waist that connects to the legs via a ball joint. He has drop down hips, but the pegs look very thick, so I'm not scared of them breaking. He has toe articulation, and you van rotate the tie on his belt. His joints have all been very smooth, unlike Ken's, so I've had no issue with him so far.
 And the comparison with Jada's Ryu. Yeah, same as per usual, I prefer Jada's engineering and it having more solid plastic but STORM Arena actually went for Alpha Ryu which looks much, much cooler than SF II Ryu. He is a bit shorter than Bucky Cap.
 He's a fun figure, much like Ken was, although I don't particularly care about Ryu. I'm going to score him taking into account that his joints haven't gotten stuck... at least yet, and that he hasn't started yellowing... at least so far. I might revise the score if that changes.
8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment