Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Action Figure #900: Mattel DC Premier Nightwing

 Number #900 could only be, yes, another Nightwing!

 Finally, Nightwing had made his triumphant appearance in the line. Way sooner than I would've expected, not that I'm complaining, but then again, Dick has grown in popularity these past few years.
 So, being the kid's line, they sadly went for the more simple large blue-symbol on the chest with no finger straps look. I still like it, and he does have the symbol on his back, which some takes on this costume skip sometimes, so it's not too bad... but, c'mon, Nightwing is always better with the finger stripes! Other than that, yeah, they kept it as simple as possible, without armored gauntlets even, and all the details on him are painted on. The head sculpt is very well done, he has a very handsome, squared jaw, and a very self-assured expression that fits him very nicely.

 He has two accessories, well, technically three: His two Eskrima sticks and, in what is the biggest liberty taken with the character, a blue belt so that he can store his sticks.
 Until now, I've been praising how each figure gets their own sculpt. This is the end of that, because Dick borrows his torso from Flash. Which, I guess, is decent enough, as he shouldn't be as beefy as Bruce...
...and he borrows his legs from John Stewart. It's funny, because the feet do have some sort of armored sculpt on them, which clashes a bit with how smooth the rest of Dick's ensemble is.
 This is how the sticks are stored. They stay on fairly well.
 Articulation is the same as with the other figures in the line: He has single jointed elbows that go slightly beyond 90 degrees, double jointed knees, swivels on his thighs, boots and waist. Pretty decent, but it could be better.
 Here he is compared to the Nightwing figures I banished to my Mother's house. Which will be my futre house, but I digress. Yeah, compared with icons and DCUC, this one has the weakest design, but the articulation is comparable to DCUC's and the sculpt itself is the best one. Sure, it's the simplest one of the bunch, but he has the best proportions. He is slightly taller han Bucky Cap, Batman is only slightly taller, as is Mattel's Multiverse's Robin, but he is taller than this line's Robin.
 In closing... This is not my favorite take on the classic black and blue, but they did a good job with him. It seems Mattel is going to give us Nightwing variants, much like Batman, so hopefully we'll get one with finger stripes down the line.
7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment