Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Review #504: X-Men - Next Dimension(PS2)

  Nah, the game is still stuck in the third dimension.
The cover artwork is incredible.
 A few years ago I played X-Men: Next Dimension and I kinda loved it, but my console of choice has always been the PS2, so it was about time I gave it a go on it. I stand by what I said all those years ago, so I will try to focus on the differences between platforms.

 The first difference comes in the form of modes, PS2 has the Story Mode, VS(Player), Arcade, Survival and Practice. Notice anything? Two modes are missing. While I won't miss Time Attack and Team Battle mode, it kinda sucks that we get less stuff. Oh, and the X-Box version gets an exclusive character, Pyro, and apparently, a few exclusive stages. What does the PS2 version have over the other 2? Nothing. That's right, the PS2 has nothing over its peers.
The master of Magnetism against the guy with a metal-coated skeleton, I wonder who'll win....
 I lied, the PS2 version does have an exclusive feature: Excessively long loading times. It's not even funny, switching stages can take upwards 15 seconds to load, which is kinda nuts. I understand that stagess are large and feature multiple levels, but c'mon, the Gamecube managed just fine!

 Luckily, the game is as good as always. The collision detection can be a bit spotty at times but I loved the character roster, I loved having all these differently sized characters duking it out on large, open-ish areas. It's a fun game, but the PS2 port is the worst way in which you can experience it.
 7.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment