Monday, December 25, 2017

Now Playing: Road Trip

 Not the Road Trip I wanted.
That's a pretty good cover.
 Road Trip is a game I've been looking forwards to ever since I heard that it was a racing adventure game, something that I've been wanting to play since I sunk my fangs in Outrun 2006. But the game has been... a bit disappointing. It controls like butt. Seriously, turning the cars is very stiff, even more so than GTA III, which makes the experience a bit excruciating.

 As for the 'Adventure' part of the game, it feels a bit overwhelming. You're thrust in the middle of a city and you're free to basically do whatever you want. There're sidequests, parts to buy, cars to meet and races to partake in. But everything is so... so 'figure it out by yourself, kthxbye'. I dunno, back when I was younger I think I would've like all this freedom, but now I've grow fonder of structure, I would've preferred something like Pokemon 'Go to this city and challenge the race, now go to this other city, etc etc'. For instance, now I grew invested in the Fuji city sidequest about rescuing a kidnapped girlcar, so first I had to wait until it was night time, which was pretty boring, and then I got up to the praying box and... I think I'm missing the ability to jump? I don't know if it will be possible to jump at will, but the only thing that looks like the switch I was told about is a rope I can't reach. So I don't know what I'm missing, but I do know that waiting until it was nighttime was an absolute waste of my time.

 What deserves praise is the customization element. There're loads of part waiting to be bought, cosmetic and otherwise, and the paint customization is pretty neat. I'm riding a Yellow-and-Red tiny car with red rims that looks amazing. Amazing I tell you! Also, I don't think I'll be finishing this game before New Year's Eve, so this'll probably be the first game I finish in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment