Sunday, September 17, 2017

Review #464: TMNT(PS2)

 I was too kind. Too kind.
At least the cover isn't as focused on Raphael as the movie and the game were.
 I just finished my reassessment of the game, and read what I said about it in 2015 and I stand by everything I said but the final score.

 I think I cut the presentation/story some slack back then, because I found the dialogue insufferable and the way the story is told laughably bad. It sorta has the Turtles narrating what happened in past tense, voicing remarks or what they felt at the time, which is pretty dumb. I also failed to mention just how choppy the FMVs extracted from the movie are, I was probably guessing that my disc was scratched. It wasn't.
Bosses are the only element that brings a stop to the monotony of the combat sections.
 The game's main two components: Platforming and Combat are pretty bland too. Combat is as deep as mashing the circle button until you enter your 'super mode' and then mash circle some more. You'll have to do the occasional dodge or block every now and then, but it's a rare occurrence and if you are good at mashing you probably won't have to bother with either. It's hard to put into words just how lame and boring it is, fights never evolve and they never get exciting. The bosses offer more of a challenge, and even then they are pretty lame. Three out of the four bosses will escape after you deal some damage to them, which makes for pathetic fights, an then you have to fight them back to back on the final level, this time until their health bar finally drops to 0. It's so mindnumbingly boring!

 Platforming fares much better, but even then it fails to offer any challenge besides the fixed camera angles that will sometimes make you perform a jump instead of a wallrun or vice-versa. And sometimes it's hard to tell if they want you to make an assisted-jump or a wallrun, and don't try to go faster than the level itself or invisible walls or other shenanigans will stop you on your way. Donatello's exclusive jump is also a bit annoying to pull off, since you have to be at just the right distance unless you want to botch it. That said, when it's at its best it flows pretty nicely and looks pretty cool too. At its best.
The levels are so generic and  uninteresting.
 I don't know how else to put it, but TMNT is a boring, bland and dull game. Nothing's broken here, everything works as it should, but it's such a lifeless endeavor. Quite literally, any other TMNT game on the PS2 is a better choice than this, even Smash-up.
 4.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment