Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Now Playing: Power Rangers Super Legends - 15th Anniversary

 These collectibles...
 Lemme level with you, Gods Eater Burst is fantastic, I was playing it in tandem while I was studying. But I already finished God Eater(Difficulty 1-6) and am currently playing through Burst(Difficulty 8 to be precise). Thing is, I really want to upgrade my weapons, which means grinding, and I've been grinding the Sehkmet and Magma Gboro-Gboro for a while now... I grew a bit tired of it, I needed something else.

 To think that at one point in my life, I spoke highly of this game to a friend of mine, I might actually have compared it to Devil May Cry. Evidently, it had been a while since I had played DMC, else I wouldn't have lied like that. Anyways, the game is... acceptable. The combo system is alright, it's dead simple, but taking into account the fact that it's a kids' game... it's fine. That's as far as I'll excuse it though. Every character is a color swap of each other, which baffles the mind as to why they only included 20 characters in the game. THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO CELEBRATE POWER RANGER'S 15TH ANNIVERSARY, goddamn. It also skipped a ton of series. So we are missing characters, missing series, and every character plays exactly the same, with the same exact animations. What the hell? And what's up with the lack of Tommy? You know, Tommy Oliver, arguably the most iconic character in the Power Rangers franchise, the one with the most roles? And there's no 'Super Sentai didn't have Tommy!" excuse, this game was made in the West, for Western players. So where the hell is my Tommy Oliver? You mean to tell me that BILLY made it over Tommy? That there's no Turbo or Zeo Rangers? And need I remind you that every character plays exactly the same? ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS ALTER THE TEXTURES. GODDAMN.

 And the cherry on top? Collectibles are devilishly hidden throughout the game. Just let me play as the color swap of my choice, dammit! Sometimes, collectibles are lost forever until you restart the whole level, and stages are pretty darn long. I can excuse this in games like Kirby, because Kirby is actually fun, and I feel rewarded for finding these secrets. I don't feel rewarded by finding every Ranger letter, all I get is a friggin' palette swap of the same character I've been playing since I started the game.

 It is an acceptable game, just a terrible, terrible Power Ranger's Anniversary Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment