Monday, October 28, 2013

First Archimpressions: Fragile Dreams: Farewell, Ruins of the Moon

 It's pretty... different.
 The setting reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei. I just had to get that out of the way, and by the by, it's a pretty neat thing. As for the game... it's certainly aced the presentation front, it's very depressing and I totally bought it. There's a certain scene where Seto buries an AI companion, and it'd be ridiculous until you put yourself in Seto's shoes, that AI was his only companion on his journey, his very own Wilson, it makes sense and makes the scene so much more touching. Enemies are also of the creepy variety, while the dogs feel a bit generic, the first time I came across the hands on the walls, I was completely creeped out. Very awesome.
 Then there's the gameplay, and... it's passable. Movement is a bit clunky, and something I didn't like is that when the Wiimote gets out of focus, Seto defaults to the center. Games usually "lock" the cursor to where the cursor was before the Wiimote got out of range, and initially it's very off putting, but I got used to it by now. Combat is even clunkier, you have to time it, but it's a bit hard predicting weather the enemy is in range or not. Fragile Dreams also makes heavy use of the speakers on the Wiimote, and while it adds ambience, the Hide and Seek scene was very, very annoying. I easily spent around 15 minutes on that damned scene.
 So far the game gets a pass, the setting is very depressing and very fun to explore. Enemies are creepy, and the enviroments look worn out and crumbling, I love it. Basically, the game as a whole makes up for it's clunkier gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment