Saturday, November 9, 2013

First Archimpressions: Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butoden

 What Burst Limit should've been.
 Dragon Ball Butoden series started on the SNES, and frankly, I hate it. It hasn't aged well at all, animation is stiff, gameplay feels wonky and... I simply don't like them. But this? Oh man, oh man. Where do I start? How about... this are, probably, the best graphics I've seen on the DS. And the story mode is fantastic, it's almost as good as Budokai 1's. This one covers the entirety of Dragon Ball Z, with a load of extra "What if Scenarios", the only reason it's not as good as Budokai's is... there's almost no voices. Thing is, there is a lot of text and characters flapping their mouths, but only a sparse few scenes are voices. I understand there's a lot of stuff in the game(The roster is massive for a DS game, and oh so many cutscenes!), but since this is a Japan-exclusive, not knowing what characters are saying kinda takes some of it's charm away. Luckily I'm familiar with the series, so it's easy to follow along.
 As for the gameplay, it's... alright. Thing is, every character feels very sameish, a mashable X combo and you can spread Y(Strong Attack) around. Each character also has 3 specials and a ultimate. While specials and ultimates are different, their basic movesets are very familiar with each other, some characters are downright clones(Minus the specials/ultimate) like Kid Gohan and Gotenks. Still, once has to consider that this is a DS game and a licensced game, and a pretty good one at that. It's easy to pick up and play, even to non-fighting game fans, so it kinda works. I dunno, I like it.
 So yeah, I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment