Sunday, June 9, 2019

Review #660: 64 Memories - Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards

 All you can eat buffet of powers.
 Part I: The Flashback
 I'm pretty sure I rented this game at least once, but I can't really say for certain, what I do remember is that my parent purchased it for me once we crossed the border into the Chuy and found all these amazing low prices on Nintendo 64 games.

 This is my favorite Kirby game for the simple reason that it's the only one, as far as I know, in which you can mix powers. I loved, LOVED using the Fire Sword and the Electric Glave.

Image result for Kirby 64
 Part II: The Review
 Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards is a 2.5D platform game in which you play as the infamous pink blob with a massive appetite. As per usual, you use the B button to suck your enemies into your mouth and eat them to steal their power, and jump/float with the A button. But here's where things get interesting... If instead of eating an enemy you shoot it towards another enemy, a power-wielding enemy, you'll be able to merge both powers together.  So, while this Kirby doesn't have so many powers(Electricity, Ice, Fire, Bomb, Needle, Cutter and Stone) you can combine any of them for a total of 49 different powers. And there's a lot of variety: Bomb+Fire turns Kirby into a firework shower, Fire+Stone turns him into a volcano. Electricity + Needle turns him into a lightning rod! There's a lot of variety here, and it's always fun to see what powers you can get.

 The game is made up of 6 world, 4 of them having 5 stages and 2 of them having 4. Every world ends with a boss fight. In this game your main objective is helping a fairy collect all the crystal shards, 3 per stage, and finding all of them is the only way to fight the true boss and get the good ending. The game is a bit on the short side, but it's a lot of fun and all these different powers make it highly replayable, even if just to fool around. There are 3 multiplayer minigames that, while simple, are a decent diversion.

 Kirby 64 holds up very well to this day. Something about the powersets he can acquire in this game makes it feel fairly different from the other games in the series, so it's worth checking it out. I don't know if I can still call it my favorite Kirby game, but it definitely has my favorite ideas, and I'd love to see Nintendo tries this concept once more.
 8.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment