Saturday, June 15, 2019

Entry #662: 64 Memories - Cruis'n USA

 Outrun, made in America
 Part I: The Flashback
 As a famous racing game hater of the 90s I never really did care much about Cruis'n USA. I must've played it a few times when we went for dinner to a few restaurants that had Nintendo 64 consoles for children to play with. It's a shame I wasn't able to appreciate this game back then, because this is exactly the type of game I've been looking for since I can't get my Outrun fix outside of said franchise.

Image result for Cruis'n USA
 Part II: The Entry
 I know, alright, I know. This game is supposed to be a terrible port of a great little arcade game. The framerate is choppy, the physics are weird... but I loved it. Heck, the unpredictable physics when you crash and hit other cars is part of the chaotic fun that is Cruis'n USA. The game is an Arcade racer through and through, and unlike most other racing games, this one is about going from point A to point B, kinda like Outrun. However, instead of one long track, the game is divided into 15 shorter courses. You can play on any course by itself, but the main attraction is 'CRUISE THE USA', in which you play every race in a set order.

 The game is a bundle of fun, easy to get into, simple to understand and play. It's fast, even if the framerate can't keep up, and I absolutely love this type of racing game. Honestly, it feels like an American take on Outrun, and I say that as a huge compliment.
 8.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment