Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Month Overview: March 2017

 Tally:
Suikoden IV 6.5
Castlevania - Curse of Darkness 7.0
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4.0
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 5.0
Suikoden V 9.5
Shadow Hearts 9.0


 Oh boy, oh boy, after last month's rather large tally o' games, this month's paltry selection of games makes for a stark contrast. While there wasn't anything particularly awful, March gave me two new GOTY contenders from two of the franchises I mean to finish this year. I find it funny how few JRPGs I had played on the PS2, considering it's one of my favorite genres, one of my favorite consoles and a console that is renowned for its JRPG selection.


Game of March 2017:
 Brilliant, Suikoden V was brilliant. Suikoden has had, at least III and IV, the games I had played before, a rather shallow cast of characters, but Suikoden V is made up of loveable characters, memorable scenes and a fantastic plot. The gameplay's the best it has ever been on the PS2 entries, and it's a pretty lengthy game as well. Easily one of PS2's finest.

Runner-up:
 I remember seeing this game on my gamestore of choice catalog's over and over again every time I went in to buy a new game, but the cover just never did it for me. And how disappointed I'm at my past self, because Shadow Hearts is one damn fine JRPG. I love the the horror elements mixed with the quirky sense of humor, I loved the combat system and, unexpectedly, I also loved the game's pace. How the game is divided in two very distinct chapters, how it's sort of  adventure through real-life places like China and London, but with a very fantastical flair. Highly original, highly entertaining, Shadow Hearts is another PS2 JRPG unsung marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment