Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Now Playing: Silent Hill - Homecoming

 Am I even in Silent Hill?
 First and foremost, this is a list of all the games I've started without finishing(yet):
 Ain't pretty right? Not only that, I'm in the middle of my Guardian's Crusade playthrough.... but, dammit, Silent Hill comes first! And sure, I might have one of my toughest academic tests yet this Friday... but, dammit, Silent Hill comes first!

 Anyways, I just cleared the hospital level-thing and... Movie Nurses, which are a variation Silent Hill 2's nurses... No bueno. And Alex gets impaled by Pyramid Head's giant cleaver. No. Flipping. Bueno. At all.

 Leaving these tiny-but-not-that-tiny details aside, the game's been doing a good job of setting up an unsettling, creepy atmosphere. Just like the slightly off-putting voice acting from the second game, the robotic, inexpressive character models help make the characters feel... uncanny, which really helps set a creepy tone. So bonus points for that unintended effect! Then there's the gameplay itself which works relatively fine all things considered. Having a dodge-counterattack mechanic feels slightly fresh for a survival horror, and I'm not against having more options when fighting. Clunky controls and mechanics should never be part of how a survival horror game works.

 To sum up, I'm liking the game, and I've little to complain about besides how little care they took when borrowing creatures from previous games.

No comments:

Post a Comment