Monday, August 18, 2014

Now Playing: Crash Bandicoot 2 - Cortex Strikes Back

 Now THIS is a sequel.
 Crash Bandicoot 1 was a great game back when it was released, but it hasn't aged very well, regardless, Crash Bandicoot 2 improves on almost every aspect of Crash 1, fixes most of its most frustrating issues and introduces new mechanics.

Where to start? The new analog support is a godsend, the camera angles aren't as awkward and you get more than a second to react to upcoming obstacles when the camera takes weird angles. The collision detection is still a bit off, and just like Crash 1, it sometimes works in your favor, allowing you to stand on air instead of falling to your death. Remember how frustrating it was to earn gems? Not any more, you no longer need "perfect runs" which is fantastic, and you can save any time you want when in the HUB, fixing the most annoying aspects of the last game. There's new moves as well, sliding, crawling, slide-jump and even hanging over railings.

 Crash 2 is already shaping up to be a great game, it does have challenging sections, though it hasn't managed to get Crash 1 hard yet(I'm on level 18). Interestingly, Crash 2 is the game I played the least from the original trilogy, I don't really know why. Crash 3 was my favorite, and I played a fair amount of Crash 1(Though I hadn't finished back then), but Crash 2? I only played a tiny bit, which now I deeply regret!

No comments:

Post a Comment