Friday, May 24, 2013

The Sendoff: Chrono Cross

 So, the Uruguayan goverment is a piece of shit, they changed the importation laws, again, which means I won´t be able to get as many old games as before. Because Uruguay is known for selling original old games, right? It´s my fault that Shopping Center´s sales dropped by 6% since I been buying these easy to find(sarcasm) old PS1 games. Right. Fuck you, Uruguay, fuck you.
 Anyways, what better way to send off PS1Archile than with the game that inspired my first E-mail adress. A game I adored, which, at one point, held above Final Fantasy VII, of course, I speak of Chrono Cross.

Xenogears and Chrono Cross:
 I read that some of XG´s staff worked on Chrono Cross, and holy molly, how did I not notice before? Right from the start, check Fei´s or Serge´s bed, and he´ll take his "savings"(Called like so on both games) which amount to 200g. On both games. Combat? Up to 7 AP or 7.0 Stamina, with three different attacks, one that consumes 1 AP or 1.0 STA, one that costs 2 or 2.0 and another one take takes up 3 AP or 3.0 STA.
 And what about the fact that the fathers of both heroes turned into the personal antagonists of both, Graf and Lynx. And both of them saved their childs once, taking them to the village. "The" Village? Yup, both characters live in small villages, with a very rural look to them. There are probably many more similarities and shouts-outs, and I can´t wait to find them.

First Impressions:
 I´m not gonna lie... I wasn´t too impressed. I mean... I held this game so highly in my mind, but... it´s not as awesome as I remembered it. Maybe as I play more and unlock the special techs and get to customize my spells, maybe... but so far? Mediocre.
 Oh and the enemies look so silly. I remember feeling it back then too, on one of the many, many playthroughs I did through the game. Most enemies look pretty silly and harmless. Not a deal breaker, but I´d like meaner enemies.

No comments:

Post a Comment