Monday, May 6, 2013

Last Xenogasa 3 rant

 Ever since I put on the 2nd disc, the game got so, so much better. For starters, everything that was playable was fun, I had no gripes with the gameplay whatsover. What did annoy me to no end where the nonsensical situations, bad dialogue and the repetitive and dumb characters. Thing is, everything that happens on the 2nd disc is... dare I say, fun? Interesting? It was.
 Well, I did hate the fact that, as predicted, pulled a "Kevin was evil, but he meant well!" kind of thing. Because sacrificing yourself at the last minute completely exonerates you from using Shion all the time? From having the party involved in all these shady bussiness? Right.... Also, What The FUCK, Shion, What the fuck? "Nobody cares about me. Everyone left me but Kevin".... Dudette, two out of three games where about YOU. All the characters are at YOUR beck and call, they never, ever, EVER left you. They were looking out for you since Xenosaga 1, and you say that? I know they had to make Kevin not look THAT bad, but pulling stuff out of your ass doesn´t work.
 As far as combat goes, bosses got tougher, which means I got to fully exploit the Break status on them... it´s a fun battle system. HOWEVER, they completely messed up the last boss. JRPGs tend to have multiple-form last bosses... not Xenosaga, just one form and it´s incredibly easy, I guess they supposed you´d tackle the harder, optional bosses? One of the very few redeeming qualities of XS2 was the last boss, when after you take down it´s first form, you go to the spoils of battle screen and... he shouts "I WON´T LET IT END", cue in the next form. Nope, no such thing here. Another thing I disliked, it how tough random encounters got in the last dungeon. Yes, last dungeon, bla bla bla. Just make them do more damage. It´s boring having to pummel the enemies for so long, and you´ll be using the same strategies, since it´s the same kind of enemies, so there´s no point to dragging combat for so long. Make the bosses harder to make up for it, or something.
 Sidequests... there weren´t many, and I did as many as I found. Except the one for Ziggy´s last weapon. Do they really expect you to gather 99 of a drop from an enemy? And it´s one of those extra damage soaking last enemies. Not fun, so no deal. The other sidequests were incredibly short and simple, surprising, taking into account the 40+ sidequests from XS 2 and how much they boasted of them. Guess since they returned shops and equipment, there was no space on the disc for other sidequests? Heh.
 It surprised me just how linear the game was. Specially during the first disc, the times that you can go back to previous dungeons can be counted with one hand. Cities? Once you leave them, there´s no going back. Ever. As you go through the game you start getting more breathing room, but you´ll be getting dragged a lot. Still, something that surprised me even more was just how good it got. The first disc starts getting better the more you advance, by the 2nd disc it´s all good, not great, but good. It was a decent game, once again, all my complaints are story/dialogue/character based, gameplay was fun, even exploring was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment