Sunday, June 27, 2021

Game #1029: Rat Attack!

  Did somebody call the exterminator?

 Ahh, yes, it's time for yet another game I wanted to play back when I was younger but never got to. It was impossible to avoid ads for Rat Attack!, although it was the N64 version I actually wanted since, well, I was a Nintendo lad. And even the mediocre reviews, once they came out, didn't deter me from longing for this game, which is how we end up here.

 This is the entire game: You get thrust into an square arena filled with objects, obstacles, hazards and pads. There's always at least one pad, the Eradicator, but other bonus pads may appear such as the enemy cloner and enemy upgrader. It's not too long before the rats spawn, and it's your job as a S.C.R.A.T.C.H Cat to kill them all. There are multiple ways to do so. Collect cat coins and unleash your super move, unique for each cat, maybe they get murdered by the same hazards that could kill you.... or you go, capture them and touch the eradicator pad to finally kill them. That's th game, and it holds true for all 40 stages.

 I like the aesthetics, I liked the idea but... the gameplay is way too basic, so the game gets boring during the first five stages. There's a multiplayer component which is probably more enjoyable, but sadly the mechanics aren't good enough to sustain the single player campaign. It's nice that you have different cats to choose from, and while their stats and designs are different, they all play basically the same.

 Yeah... Rat Attack! has a neat concept, but it's not good enough for a full-fledged game. I give it bonus points for the aesthetics, but that's as far as I could go.
 
3.0

No comments:

Post a Comment