Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Game #904: Unruly Heroes

  No more monkeying around.

 Journey to the West is one of my favorite books of all time, so waiting for a physical release of this game was pure torture, but thankfully, even though Limited Run Games skipped it, Pix'n Love decided to pick up the slack and give Unruly Heroes the release it deserved.

 The game is pretty lengthy, a bit too lengthy if you ask me, I think I would've cut a couple of stages. The game introduces new mechanics and gimmicks frequently, so it tries to keep things fresh, although sometimes I felt like it didn't quite manage it. The third world changes how the game plays completely, and I wasn't much of a fan. The other worlds are alright.

 The platforming is pretty neat, the game offers a decent amount of obstacles to clear, and it feels relatively tight despite how floaty movement is. and I like how you can purchase skins for your characters. The game offers a decent challenge, but offers you quite a bit of leeway in which to recover dead characters, so it's more than fair.

 I think the game faltered a bit in the combat department, you have plenty of moves but few reasons to shake things up, and basic enemies can take too much punishment.

 While the game doesn't follow any particular set of chapters from the original novel, I like how they brought the universe of Journey to the West to life, it felt like how I had always envisioned it.

 Unruly Heroes is definitely a fun time, as a fan of the source material, I commend it wholeheartedly.

7.5

No comments:

Post a Comment