Saturday, March 14, 2020

Review #759: Konami Krazy Racers

 No, this is not another Mortal Kombat Spinoff.
 Konami Krazy Racers is one of those GBA games I had always wanted to own. I remember during my early highschool years that one guy who was younger than me owned this game, and during recess he'd lent it to me, or I'd just watch him play it. While I recognized Goemon, I didn't recognize Ninja or Dracula, so I thought it was "just" a Racing game, failing to realize that it's actually a Konami all-stars mascot racer! As the years would come to pass, I'd never fail to get a ROM of this game every time I got back into GBA Emulation, I really liked this game. And what'd you know? It's held up remarkably well!

 The game is made up of 16 tracks and 8 Racers, as well as 4 unlockable, secret racers. As per usual, tracks are divided in groups of four under the main, Grand Prix mode, called, erm, Krazy GP in this game. Besides the main GP mode you get Time Attack, Free Run(VS Cpu), VS player and Mini Battle, which is made up of two modes: Chicken Race, in which you tap B to break right before the finish run and Bomb Chaser in which you pass a bomb around to explode the unlucky sap who gets it. There's a gimmick to this game, licenses, which limit which GPs you can play. At first you can only play a single GP, and after you beat it, you can take a B License test to unlock the next to GPs, beat said GPs and you unlock the A License test, which unlocks the final GP. There's a final S License test that I wasn't able to finish, but I'm pretty sure it's just there for bragging rights. One important thing to remember is to SAVE, the game won't autosave for you, so remember to always SAVE YOUR GAME. I forgot to save the final two secret characters and raged for a bit until I calmed down and went back to get them, thankfully I discovered that you didn't need to finish the GP they are hidden in, just collect the crystal.
 The game is exactly what you think it is: A Mario Kart clone, but it's one of the few good ones. You drive laps around a track, collecting item boxes(red and blue bells) in order to use power ups to get up to the first place. You've got missiles, homing missiles, a thunder that hits everyone, the whole 9 yards. Red bells always contain offensive items, while the blue bells contain Turbos, you can store up to three turbos, but red bells don't stack, that said, there's a Shop in the main menu in which you can spend coins collected through racing in order to equip more uses or specific weapons. Equipping this modifiers doesn't guarantee that you'll get the item, but if you do happen to get the item you'll get extra uses out of it.

 The game plays just fine, and it feels almost as tight as Mario Kart. One thing that really threw me off is that the R jump does not turn into a drift, there's no drifting in this game, so taking curves is all about breaking and letting go off the accelerator.
 If there's anything to complain about is that they should've added a bit more fanservice. Goemon and Ebisumaru make perfect sense, the Vic Viper and Moai head are brilliant additions, but why is Grey Fox here without the more recognizable Solid Snake? Why do we get a generic rendition of Dracula instead or alongside of a more recognizable Belmont? I mean, don't get me wrong, Dracula is the recurring enemy, but his design always changes and this version didn't remind me of any of his past incarnations. Tracks too felt a bit generic, the Goemon tracks had its music and the backdrops reminded me of Goemon, heck, on stage changes time of the day like Mystical Ninja 64... but what about the Castle tracks? They have Castlevania's music and sometimes a few bats appear, but where are the torches? Where are the Castlevania references? Same goes for Cyber Base 1 and 2, they get Metal Gear Solid's music and there are mines on the floor, but no cardboard crates? No cameras? Nothing to make me think of Metal Gear? The same goes for the Baseball stage, they should've made it less generic and more Powerful Pro Yakyu.

 Yeah, it's a good one. I've played a fair share of loosey, slippery mascot racers, but Konami Krazy Racers is one the few ones that really manage to play as well as Mario Kart. I think they could've leaned a bit more on the franchises they paid tribute to with this game, but at least the overall package is well made.
 8.0 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. Lo peor fue que yo tambien jugue a esta porqueria en emulador... por 5 minutos.

    ReplyDelete