Saturday, August 31, 2019

Review #687: 64 Memories - Mortal Kombat 4

 Unpopular opinion: Mortal Kombat 4 is actually good.
 Part I: The Flashback
 Well, I already talked about it in the Rampage World Tour review, but I got Mortal Kombat 4 the very same day I got that game, so it makes sense to pair them up. I adored this game as a child, probably one of the games I played the most with my father, although I don't think my friends were quite into it as I was.

 Part II: The Review
 I know it's rich coming from someone who thinks Mortal Kombat didn't get good until the reboot, but I think 4 is the exception. I mean, it's not great, not by a long shot, but I think it's the most fun Mortal Kombat could get back then. The dial-a-combos thing seems to be universal between all characters this time around, which I think in a game like Mortal Kombat is kinda better. In Tekken it's simple to figure out moves since each button is a limb, but when you have 'High' and 'Low' punches and kicks, it doesn't make much sense how dial-a-combos work. Regardless, as per usual with the franchise back then, it's the super moves that set each character apart. That and the newly implemented weapon mechanic, in which every character has his/her own weapon. Some are undeniably betters than others, but if you can knock it off you opponents' hands you can then pick it up for yourself. Some stages also have stage-weapons, such as rocks, and this are massively overpowered, but easy to sidestep.

Image result for Mortal Kombat 4
 The fights go about pretty fast, which I like, although there's a certain slippery quality to the physics that I kinda enjoy. Sometimes attacks will go through other attacks, or some super moves when comboed into won't look as right as they should when connecting(or missing!), but it's not too bad. I love how crass the 'MAXIMUM DAMAGE' mechanic is, whenever you deal up to 45ish% of damage to your opponent, the game will just push you back into the ground, allowing the enemy a respite and making infinite combos impossible. It's so inelegant that I can't help but smile at how ridiculous it is, despite getting the job done! Since the Nintendo 64 wasn't too hot as far as available storage on the cart goes, all the cutscenes were remade in engine, which is kinda endearing, but on the upside, the Nintendo 64 version has NO LOADING TIMES, which makes the PS1 version obsolete by a landslide. That said, having no in-game movelist is unforgivable.

 I really like Mortal Kombat 4. It's a very clear case of style over substance, but if you don't mind turning off your brain for a spell, it can be quite entertaining for a retro fighter. I'd take any newer Mortal Kombat entry over this one, yes, even despite how much nickel-and-diming Warner Brothers is trying to get out of the series, but as far as the older entries go? This one's my jam.
 6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment