Saturday, June 2, 2018

Now Playing: The Legend of Spyro - The Eternal Night

 David Spade is gone, yo!
Spyro strikes a pose.
 Well, I started Eternal Night right after the previous one, and I'm slightly, slightlyyyyyyyyy terrified that it might be a step down from A New Beginning. Simply because the game feels like it's gonna be more of the same.

 A series' beginning is usually one of the most interesting parts of a story, which is a bit of a pitfall since the next chapters should eclipse the set-up, but I'm afraid it seems like Eternal Night fell into it.. I just started the game, Cynder is trying to escape, Spyro gets a weird mind-trip and the Temple gets attacked and... I just couldn't care less. Maybe the story gets better, I hope, but it's missing the... spark that the first game's story had. Maybe because the whole mystique and allure of the new is gone.

 The combat is the same, no new melee moves, and no new moves to purchase, which will potentially be a gamebreaker, since the fighting was already tedious before, now it might be overkill. That said, I appreciate that the changed alternate-breath attacks. Well, I'm assuming so since the Fire Breath's alternate attack has changed.

 On the plus side, the game is promising puzzles. During Spyro's mind trip I had to slow down time in order to do some platforming, and the tutorial had me putting on fires inside furnaces, so maybe, just maybe puzzles are back into the franchise. I hope so, since the combat alone can't carry the game, so might as well spice up things.

No comments:

Post a Comment