Monday, June 11, 2018

Now Playing: Grandia & Freedom Fighters

 Nonsensical names are always fun.
Minimalist. Forgettable.
 Grandia is a game that never appealed to me, even though I really liked Grandia II and Xtreme(I was young!). And after playing it for five hours, I'm still not quite fond of it. For starters, playing it on a PS2 seems to be a fool's errand, as it's prone to freezing. I'm suffering a few freezes right now which halted my progress on the game until I can assess if it's the disc or the medium.

 As for the game itself, I really can't get myself to like the main cast of characters, children heroes just don't do it for me anymore. Justin just isn't fun to follow along with, and Sue is just annoying. I happen to hate the 'kid genius' trope, so Feena being discovered as the world's greatest adventurer irks me to no end. I hate the main cast!

Not to be confused with the super-heroes game, Freedom Force.
 I used to LOVE this game when I was younger, and one of the tiny details that made me love it so was how the main character's attire would change as you went through the game. It made it seem like Chris was getting more and more involved with his role, as well as it being a clear sign of progression as he grew to look more and more like a guerilla.

 I just cleared the first mission/area, and the controls are certainly clunkier than I remembered them to be, but you can get used to them and the auto-aim is decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment