Thursday, November 16, 2017

Now Playing: God of War

 God of QTEs
Kratos is always fun at parties.
 Believe it or not, while God of War is over 10 years old, it was not but a few years ago that I first played the games, and I did so in chronological order(Chains of Olympus, 1, Phantom of Sparta, 2 and finally 3. Ascension hadn't been released yet.) and I remember being very impressed right after finishing Chains of Olympus... twice. I liked it so much that I played it twice in a row, since Hard mode held some unlockables.

 But ever since I played those games something has changed... from not liking QTEs I grew to actually hate them, which is gonna be interesting since God of War is 70% QTEs. I've played about an hour, got to the Road to Athens and... I don't hate it, I'm having a blast actually. I've read that David Jaffe, the director, claimed that God of War was so simple that had it not had so much spectacle, thanks to the high budget, it wouldn't have performed as well as it did... but I disagree so much with that statement. The combat is very fluid and everything flows so well into everything else that it makes fighting feel very responsive and gratifying. The core mechanics are simple, yes, but solid, and the juggle system, while not as diverse as what you could achieve in Devil May Cry, is light years above and beyond what most PS2 action games could offer, and considering how I've played quite a bunch already this year, I know what I'm talking about.

 Basically, I'm enjoying what I'm playing despite the QTEs.

No comments:

Post a Comment