Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Now Playing: Suikoden

 Man, this game feels ancient.
 So, I wanted Review #400 to be something Special, and what better game than Suikoden II to suit my needs? Suikoden II, often touted as one of the best JRPGs of all time, and a game that eluded me for so long due to its high asking price. But before we get to that, we've got to go through Suikoden I first!

 The game has a very SNES charm thanks to its primitive graphics and interface. The inventory is a collection of the inventories of every character in the party, which is rather odd, you can't compare your equipment with the one you are buying, menus are rather archaic as well, and the graphics make little use of the Playstation 1's increased color palette. It makes for an ancient-feeling game, but a very charming one for people that liked games from the SNES and PS1 eras.

 I've gotten up to the point where Ted reveals his True Rune... or rather, 'Rune of Truth' as they are called in this installment(Early Installment Weirdness!) and I'm having fun, it feels rather different from Suikoden III, IV or V and I can't pinpoint why exactly. Maybe the 2-D graphics make it feel more whimsical and fantasy-ish? Not sure, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment