Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Ninja Turtles Month 2016

 So, this year TMNT Month will be... on August! Ideally, I'll be playing:

 Mutants in Manhattan is the one I wanna play the most, I've read the mediocre reviews et all, and I'll admit I was a bit overhyped about this one, but I don't care, it's TMNT, made by Platinum Games and inspired, on the most part, on the IDW comics. Basically, THE TMNT game I've always wanted.

 I'll be skipping TMNT 1 on the NES entirely and jumping straight to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 - The Arcade Game, since, honestly, TMNT 1 looks too archaic for my tastes. Maybe on TMNT Month 2017. Regardless, I played the Arcade original, but never touched this port, so it might be interesting. Or disappointing. Or both!

 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 - Manhattan Project is the TMNT game I grew up playing bck in the day. I loved, adored it and spent countless hours beating it over and over and over and over again. This is, probably, the reason I love beat'em ups so much.
 Tournament Fighters will mark the end of my TMNT adventure on the NES this year. This was the other TMNT game I grew up with, and another game I spent countless hours replaying. I guess my taste for beat'em ups and fighting games has been cultivated since my wee years thanks to the Ninja Turtles!
 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV -Turtles in Time heralds the beginning of the two SNES games and, once again, I'm familiar with the Arcade original, but everyone considers this one a much improved sequel, so it's high time I gave it a try.
 I did play a little tiny bit of Tournament Fighters on the SNES sometime in my life, but I quickly dismissed it as another terrible SNES Street Fighter 2 clone that were all the rage back in the day. But duty calls, and I will give it another chance, but I'm not expecting to change my mind about it.
 Hyperstone Heist is the Genesis' own TMNT 2(Arcade) port, to rival TMNT IV on the SNES. I don't remember the specifics, but I think this game was a slightly remixed version or something like that? Ah well, all will be made cleared later during August!
 And then we've got the last version of Tournament Fighters. I kinda miss how back in the day three different games could have the same name, on different consoles and be different games. But I digress, I've also played a few seconds of this version and dismissed it as an even worse Street Fighter II clone. While I skipped the SNES/Genesis generation(I went straight from NES to N64!) I've always been a Nintendo fanboy at heart, so I'm pretty sure this one will be the one I like the least. It may stand a chance against Tournament Fighters on the NES, but that one has nostalgia on its side, so we'll see.
 Lastly, although I'm considering making them the first games after Mutant in Manhattan, there're the two Arcade Games. I think it makes sense to play them first since they came out first, but I fear the ports not being 'arcade perfect' my rub me the wrong way. Regardless, as recently as 2 years ago I replayed both of them as part of the PS2 games, and, frankly, they don't hold up to well. I think Konami's beat'em ups have aged the worst, games like The Simpsons The Arcade Game and the X-Men game, largely due to how they feel like reskins of each other. Not only that, but one of the things that matters the most, in my opinion, when it comes to beat'em ups, is making the bashing satisfying, since it's the only thing you'll be doing, but Konami's Arcade beat'em ups lack a gratifying feedback from your attacks, it's as if your characters are punching or slashing air, and everything lacks weight and feels very floaty.
 And mind you, these are games that I played and loved when I was younger and had trouble reaching the Arcade's button panel! But as an aficionado of the genre, Konami's Arcade beat'em ups just don't feel very satisfying, so I'm pretty sure I won't like them too much.



 Ideally, that's the schedule for this year, which will leave: Smash-up, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1(NES), Out of the Shadows and the two-three Gameboy games for the next year. All these games are rather short, so I might be finishing them at a rate of one per day, if not more,

No comments:

Post a Comment