Thursday, January 7, 2016

Now Playing: Silent Hill 3

 It's goooooooooooooooooooooood.
 Lemme use my usual preface when writing about games like this... 'I am not a fan of survival horror games but...', but, Silent Hill 3 is badass. I just defeated the first boss and I think I'm in love.

What I liked:
 Heather. Heather is badass, and looks amazing. Who'd think a Japanese developer could resist pandering to the lowest common denominator and fanservicing the hell out of her?
 The setting. It's creepy, really creepy. I like it.
 Controls. Don't like tank-like controls? You can use more traditional controls at the cost of strafing and the backstep. A fair trade-off methinks.

What I didn't like:
 Fixed Camera angles. Alright, so I understand that it kinda comes with the territory, but I can't for the life of me enjoy being attacked by enemies off-camera. Particularly when Heather is looking straight ahead, so she should be able to see the threat, which in turns means I should be able to see it.
 Sloppy selection. This one is hard to explain, but basically, Heather's head turns into items of interest. Fair enough, but sometimes, for example, there might be a Save Spot above, say, an examinable bed. Sometimes it's hard to get Heather to interact with said Saves Spot instead of the bed.
 Enemies wait for nobody. Where you mashing X to get through a description and accidentally toggled it again or something? To bad, you can't move until you are done with it, but the enemies can and can attack you while you are defenseless. Not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment