Friday, December 25, 2015

Now Playing: One Piece - Unlimited World Red

 I dunno about this one...
 So I was a big fan of Unlimited Adventure on the Wii, it was a fun Metroidvania-like One Piece game, sure, it had it's flaws, like huge slowdown and limited movesets for characters outside the Mugiwaras, but it was fun for what it was. It later got a two-part sequel, Unlimited Cruise Part I and II, but Namco never saw it fit to bring it to USA, and since the Wii is region locked... yeah, not a good time.

 And now we have the third(Fourth?) iteration of the franchise and... I'm not completely sold. Mind you, all my views are based off Coliseum Mode, the only one I've tried, and beaten, yet, and I've already got a ton of issues with it. Remember how in Unlimited Adventure secondary characters would get very limited movesets? Yeah, it's the same deal here. Luffy's got a ton of moves, Zoro as well, but then there's Buggy and Shanks with their paltry 2-3 moves on land. It's very disappointing, and this game has even less characters than Unlimited Adventure, so there's no excuse. And remember how Unlimited Adventure and Unlimited Cruise both redesigned all the Mugiwaras with new costumes? Yeah, you only get their basic post-timeskip costumes this time around. Oh, but there're alternate costumes, just as with the previous games... except that they are DLC only. I was lucky enough to get the day 1 edition, which grants me the 15th anniversary DLC costumes, which are really nice, but still.

 And then there's the fact that the game runs as if it was underwater all the time. It's hard to explain, but if you see it in motion, even on videos, you'll see that the game looks very slow. Maybe it runs on 20 FPS? I dunno. To be fair, at least the frame rate is consistent, which is more than I can say about Unlimited Adventure. And since we are talking graphics, they look kinda blurry on the top-screen. And I think the hit boxes are kinda iffy. Switching and using Words(Buffs) is also kinda cumbersome, since you need to know what they do before hand, and good luck using them in the heat of battle, since you need to look at the bottom screen.

 If you couldn't tell, I'm not very impressed with the game. It's not terrible, but it's not noteworthy either. Just a middle of the road game. But hey, maybe the main mode can save the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment