Saturday, July 4, 2015

Now Playing: Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Danger of the Ooze

 I believed in you, and you failed me.
 There's this company called Wayforward, they've done some neat, little games for handhelds before. Remember that Thor game for the DS? Pretty good, right? Aliens Infestation was pretty cool as well. And Contra 4 was as good as the classics. I trust Wayforward, if someone could get a modern TMNT game right, it was them.

 Well, maybe I'm being a tad harsh. Danger of the Ooze is a Metroidvania, y'know, one of my favorite videogame genres. And it was developed by Wayforward. Double whammy. And yet, there's something... something missing. I can't quite put my finger on what feels off, what feels out of place, why I'm not liking this game as much as I think I should.

 Just as with the previous game, it has that cheap, floaty, slidey feel to it, like nothing really has weight. The combat is kinda odd, how after the third hit you have to hold Y before using a finisher? What's up with that? A simple press of the button would've been better, heck, I just mash the Y button and the direction.

 The music is pretty good, but the graphics are.... they are bad. Cutscene graphics look much better than the previous game's, but in-game... it's not a pretty game to look at.

 Eh, I dunno, I'm not giving up on it. And hey, at least it ain't TMNT on the PSP!

No comments:

Post a Comment