Saturday, March 16, 2013

Getting Reacquainted: Punch-Out!!

 This game is hard as balls.
 After an extended hiatus from playing this game, I finally picked it back up... and it's so not my kind of game. It's completely reflex-based, so if you have a keen eye and lynx-like reflexes, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. The rest of us are cursed to forever hover over the "Retry" button in order to somehow salvage our record.
 For what it's worth, the game looks gorgeous, I know I said Metroid OM was the best graphics I've ever seen on the Wii, and while I do stand by it, when it comes to character models, Punch-Out!! takes the cake. They look shiny, colorful and lack jaggies. They also have some very expresive faces, and they take combat damage! Seeing bruises in their abs, from Mac's hammers of justice is quite satisfying.
 Worth noting, while Nintendo tried their darndest to make it easy... it's still quite hard, at least in Title Defence mode. Sure, you can mash 1 and 2 while your oponent is on the floor to heal a bit. You can press "-" in between rounds(Only works once per match) to restore some health. And you even have the chance, by mashing 1 and 2 while falling to the floor, to get a "second chance"... but it is still hard.
 Well, this time, however, I plan on finishing the game before ejecting the disc, I just wish I get to unlock Donkey Kong. Game's so hardcore, during Mac's Last Stand, you only get three tries, no "Quitting" or "Retrying" if the match isn't going your way, and if you don't meet DK during your run, you'll need to start a new file. I hate this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment