Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Action Figure #871: Star Wars The Black Series Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander

 Well, the Kaminoans did make thousands of these...

 A few months ago I discovered that there was a Gendy Tartakovsky bright  yellow-esque Clone Trooper, the very same Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander here, and I knew, KNEW, that I had to track him down.
 Well, at a first glance, I think he looks dope as hell. The matte yellow paint, while sparse, evokes the simple, vibrant style of Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. He is cast on the old clone buck, so that mins pinned arms and legs, as well as a more angular helmet. On the bright side, the kneepads and elbow pads don't hang loose on the figure.

 He comes with a blaster and a rifle, both have a bit of whit paint to them, unlike any other Clone I've purchased.
 So far, this is the only trooper I've seen with the indentations on his back plate painted!
 Articulation-wise... He does have double jointed elbows and knees, but the knee pads prevents either from giving you the full range of motion. He has swivels on his bicep and thighs, with a ball jointed ab crunch. Being an older figure, he has no butterfly joints.
 Sadly, the articulation on the shoulders is a bit gimped. This is as far as he can raise his arm, and as far as he can raise his elbow. Current figures have so much better range that this is kinda pathetic.
 Here he is compared to the modern Phase 1 trooper. The new one is much beefier, and the helmet much bigger. They don't look too bad next to each other, but the new figure is an improvement in pretty much every front. That said, this one looks closer to the hand-drawn show, so if that's your thing, then this is your figure. He is a bit shorter than Bucky Cap.
 Despite the articulation being a bit disappointing, I don't think this trooper is an awful figure, but, current Clone Trooper figs are so much better in pretty much every way that I don't see any good reason for tracking this old guy down, besides, y'know, liking the yellow paint. Or you can get a modern Phase 1 Trooper and paint him yourself.
4.0

No comments:

Post a Comment