Thursday, July 23, 2026

Action Figure #868: G. I. Joe Classified Series Destro & Iron Grenadier Despoiler

 You've met the man with the golden gun, this is the man with the golden dome.

 I haven't been getting a lot of Joes, I mean I never get a lot of Joes, but this year's hauls have been particularly skimpy, so I hope that Destro and his Iron Grenadier Despoiler count for two.
 The Iron Grenadier Despoiler, man that's a mouthful, is a neat hunk of plastic. It's cast in blacks and golds, with a bright red seat that makes the whole thing look very posh and evil. There's a bit of DIY assembly with the wings and missiles, so the wings don't feel quite as solid as the main body. The missiles are not as snug as I would've liked, as exerting pressure on them, which may happen when grabbing the thing by the wings, might have them pop out, so I might just glue them on.

 The only articulation is on the dual turrets down and in front of it, which can spin on its axis.
 As for the Destro figure... about time I got a classic Joe villain! And while the golden mask is an alternate color, it was born from a classic figure redeco anyways! The figure looks phenomenal, he is wearing a sort of civil war-esque black and gold ensemble, with chains and decoration all over. He even gets a really nice soft goods red cape that is fixed on just one side of his back, to complete the ensemble. The only issue I had is how loose the gun holster is, so I glued it on the leg.

 As for accessories, he has a golden shield, very intricately detailed, with hidden guns on the inside, a saber with a sheath you can fix on his belt, a golden revolver, and a really cool Claymore. He has two alternate head, one with a neutral expression and a angry, shouting one. Both are really good.
 Articulation is pretty much like other Joes. Double jointed elbows and knees, with swivels on his biceps, thighs(which re barely usable due to the thickness of the leggins) and boots, complimented by drop-down hips and butterfly joints. As far as the torso goes, a hinged ab crunch and a ball jointed waist. The pauldrons rotate with the arms, so no range loss there. All things considered, he has good range all around. He is slightly taller than Bucky Cap.
 I do think that this is a fantastic figure and a really good vehicle, but, and it's a relatively big but... this set costs 110 bucks. That's a big ask for a vehicle that while perfectly good on its own right, really shouldn't be worth so much money, even if it includes a brilliant Destro fig. So, in other words, the worth of this set is entirely dependent on you being willing to pay a price it definitely isn't worth.
9.0

No comments:

Post a Comment