Sunday, December 27, 2020

Game #893: Dead Cells - Prisoner's Edition

  Guess it's time to return to one of my favorite games of all time...

 Well, Dead Cells - Prisoner's Edition marks the third time I'm purchasing this game. The original release was love at first sight, then I purchased the 'Action Game of the Year' edition which included the free DLC... which was a lie, as it was the same exact cart as the original release. Prisoner's Edition re-release includes a lot of physical extras, as well as a cart that includes the first batch of free DLC as well as the paid DLC. Sadly, a new wave of free additions were recently released that aren't included on the cart('Barrels of fun'), but, hey, it's a start.

 Well, as far as the game goes, it includes Rise of the Giant, which adds new mid-game content which is probably made up of the hardest levels and boss in the game, so if you get through it you'll be good to go for the final zones. It also includes the Bad Seed paid DLC, which adds new early game content, as well as new weapons, such as the only two-slotted melee weapon, that has both a weak and strong attack, making it a very unique weapon.

 Besides the four new areas and two new bosses, it also has the patches that included 'Custom Run' mode, that lets you customize which upgrades and unlocks to play with or without, the Costumes that you can unlock, a bunch of new monsters and weapons as well as a ton of rebalancing. For instance, double auto-crossbow traps were super strong way back when, so now you can only equip one of any weapon. There are some monsters that can now be found in areas they didn't belong before, as well as meeting new monsters earlier. The difficulty curve as you go up through the difficulty tiers has been softened, making for a much more approachable game. In other words, I think this is the best the game has ever been.

 The physical extras are pretty neat. We get a figure of the Beheaded holding a pan. It's really badass, although I wish he could've had a sword instead of the pan. Considering the game's sense of humor, it makes more sense for the Beheaded to wield the mighty Vorpan, but hey, I'd have preferred a sword. The vinyl is alright, not something I care about, the pins look pretty good and the stickers could've used a better presentation instead of coming on individual paper slips. My favorite extra, believe it or not, was Signature Game's coin, it's massive, it's heavy, and it's super cool. Overall, I think the goodies are pretty neat for the most part, personal preference aside, but I wish this version with everything on-cart/on-disc could've been available without the fluff. I'd buy the PS4 version in a heartbeat if I could get it with everything on-disc at a decent price.

 Lastly, I had played through Rise of the Giant, and while I had quite some stuff left to unlock, Bad Seed was most of the new content as far as I was concerned. But the game is so much fun, so addictive, that I clocked about 15 more hours into the game. Playing Dead Cells feels SO good, the controls are so responsive, movement is stylish, the animations are so quick and snappy, the sound design is so rewarding.... playing the game is something you can do for hours on end. If you ask me, Dead Cells is one of the best games ever made, and it should be as popular as Shovel Knight.

 10

No comments:

Post a Comment