Thursday, December 17, 2020

Game #891: Danganronpa Another Episode - Ultra Despair Girls(Playstation 4)

  Classic Danganronpa.... it's good to be back.

 Well, just got done reading my entry for Danganronpa Another Episode - Ultra Despair Girls on Vita, and I pretty much agree with everything I said back then, so I'll just comment on a few things that caught my eye this second time around.

 As far as the PS4 version goes, it looks decently, most assets were touched up, so there are barely, if any, jaggies. But the textures are super simple, in some cases they look very stretched. Some of the text and CGs can look very stretched and pixelated too, but most of them made the transition well, which is why whenever you do catch a pixelated text or CG scene asset it stands out so much. On the flip side, I remember the original version had a few framerate issues, but there are none to be found here, the games runs pretty smoothly.

 The story is SUPER messed up. It's about kids who got abused in different ways murdering adults, and as a consequence of that, these adults are just as messed up and want to murder these kids. As with most Japanese games, some of the dialogue can be a bit unnatural, which makes a few scenes come as less believable, but for the most part it's pretty good. I really enjoyed the budding friendship between series veteran Toko and the newcomer, Komaru.

 That said... just as I claimed when I played it before... the game is at odds with itself. There's WAY too much dialogue for a third-person shooter. It feels as if you can't go more than one room without triggering a conversation. I like reading. I like the Danganronpa visual novels, but since parts of the game are, well, made up of third person shooting, the humungous amounts of dialogue and and dialogue scenes really feel a bit tedious.

 Overall? It's decent. It's a decent time, but it's strictly for Danganronpa and/or visual novel fans. Coming at this game expecting a fun shooter will lead to nothing but disappointment.

 6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment