Sunday, September 30, 2018

Review #588: Nintendo 64 Memories: Dual Heroes

 HENSHIN!... feels like I've used that one before.
Part 1: The Flashback
 Yet another crappy N64 fighting game that I wanted to own! I've always loved Super Sentai/Kamen Rider-esque characters. I knew the game was bad, magazines told me so, but... I loved fighting games and I loved the designs!
 I know for a fact that I managed to rent the game once or twice, although it definitely wasn't one of the most memorable experiences I had.
Part 2: Today
 Well, I think the character designs have held up if you're into the whole Sentai shebang. The game is fairly simple, A attacks, B guards, Z allows for free movement and Down-C kicks. This is yet another button masher, there're no special moves(Kinda), just attack strings. Pressing Guard twice and then holding the button down will have your character do his Sentai pose and enter a special mode that grants his or her attacks special properties for a short while. You also get access to super moves by tapping Guard, Guard and Punch or Guard, Guard and Kick. This Super Mode can only be used once in a match though, and you need to find an opening since it takes a while for your pose to take off!

 In a weird change of pace, blocking attacks actually recovers your health. It's not something common in fighting games, and I don't think it's the best of mechanics, since it could make battles needlessly long. Despite how rigid the game can be, I felt like the movements and combat had some grace to it, and you can even juggle enemies on the air! Some stages feature walls on which you can deal extra damage, while others allow winning(Or losing!) by ringout.
  As far as modes go, you have your usual Arcade Ladder, VS Player and VS-AI. VS Ai is kinda interesting because you select an opponent based on various different AI types. As a matter of fact, there's yet another mode, 'Robot', in which you can 'train' Robot's AI by fighting it with various characters. It's nothing more than a gimmick, really. Lastly, you can unlock 4 bonus characters, but you need a controller pack in order to save your unlocks.

 So, Dual Heroes.... it's bland. It really is. Even on the N64 you could do better with games like Fighter's Destiny. Still, I think that the game is worth a look if you are into Sentai characters, because these characters really do look cool, and the animations are flashy enough as to make up for the lack of depth.
 4.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment