Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Review #585: Nintendo 64 Memories: Deadly Arts

 No move is deadlier than developing a bad fighting game.
Part 1: The Flashback
 I never owned this game, and finding a place where I could rent it was tough, but dangnammit, that cover was badass and I loved fighting games at that time, so I needed to try the game. And I can clearly remember renting it once. I don't remember how I felt about the game, but the fact that it didn't leave an imprint in my mind and how I never cared about it afterwards... I think I didn't like it too much.

Part 2: Today
 It's horrible. The 10 playable characters are as uninspired as they come, while the cover artwork is pretty darn decent, the game's engine does the art no favors. Add to that how poor the animations are and how stiff everything feels, and you've got one bland looking game.
 But, hey, beauty is only skin-deep, right? Sadly, the game plays as bad as it looks. A is a punch, B is a kick, R blocks and the C-buttons are used to sidestep. Stringing attacks feels all kinds of wonky, and the occasional no-reason-camera-flip is a dumb, dumb addition.

 As for modes, you've got your traditional Arcade Ladder, Team VS, Tag-Team VS(It's not what it sounds like, you form a 3-man team, by defeating the other two in combat, and then proceed to fight the remaining characters) and, finally, practice. It's only noteworthy feature is the create-a-character, it's not too in-depth, but you can have your character learn any move from any playable character, and thus create your own warrior. It takes a ton of battles to be able to learn everything you want, though.
 No. Don't even think about it. Deadly Arts is worth nobody's time, just go play Fighters Destiny or Smash Bros. and let this game be forgotten by time, it's the only kindness this game deserves.
 2.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment