Monday, February 22, 2016

About Review #300

  So, umm... here's what I'm playing at the moment.
 So, Aquapazza is gonna be review #299, that's already decided and set on stone. I've taken a bit of a break from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate after logging over 40 hours into it, I haven't even finished the vanilla campaign yet, but the game is fun. Earth Defense Force 2025 is on hiatus, since I'm doing a co-op campaign run with my sister, it might be a while until we finish it. Dragon's Dogma... I dunno why or how but I stopped playing it, but I will resume play after a while.

 As for TMNT 2, yes, I admit I didn't finish it, but I'm close to the end! The thing is, it didn't matter how much more I played it(Those two last levels), I hated the game, and nothing those two levels could've done would've changed that. I played over 90% of the game, I was sure of my opinion on it. But I will finish it someday, that much I promise. Then there's Dungeon Explorer, a game I simply lost interest on. It's so.... dull, lifeless, boring... I might attempt to finish it later sometime down the line. Maybe.

 Rune Factory Frontier I actually resumed play last year, but hit a roadblock upon the third boss. I aim to finish it someday. I dunno if its worth a review, since it's been so long since I got into it and actually learned how it worked. And then there's Demon's Souls which has been on a four year hiatus, some day though....

 But what really matters is Review #300. I've been somewhat rushing through games, at the expense of my daily literature, in order to make it to #300.  I wanted to make it special, so it had to be a special game. For a while I thought about making it Borderlands - The Presequel, since I'm getting the Triple pack soon, and since I adore the Borderlands franchise, it made sense. Then I considered Final Fantasy VII, my favorite game of all time, and although I wrote about it early in the blog's life, I was terrible(Even more than now) at writing, and it didn't do the game justice. I wouldn't be able to do the game justice now either way, but it'd be a better piece.

 But then I remembered that there's a certain game on my backlog that holds a certain special place in my heart, even if I don't talk about it very much. The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D.

 Lemme tell you about my life as a gamer. I've been gaming ever since I've memory and a sense of self. It all started with a Chinese knock off NES called the 'Family'. I played Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong(And DK Jr and 3 as well!), Megaman(Which I played as Rockman!!), Bomberman, Milk and Nuts and even bootleg versions of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and the infamous Somario. Eventually I would upgrade to a proper NES, and I have clear memories of Super Mario Bros. 3 being the first game I played on it! I would skip the SNES, sadly, but I got the N64.

 Mind you, I hadn't played a single Zelda game ever, but at this time I started buying videogame magazines. Xpert Gamer, EGM, GamePro and a Mexican magazine, 'Club Nintendo'. I learned about this upcoming game, 'The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time'. I don't know why, but these magazines managed to hype me up for this game. Mind you, I had never ever played a Zelda game before, and yet, I needed to play this game. I'd tell my father all about it. And one fateful day, we went out for dinner, and me being somebody that just can't sit still, would often times go out of the restaurant, while the food was being cooked, for a walk. Well, on this fateful day I entered a store and lo and behold, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA - OCARINA OF TIME was sitting there. I went running back to the restaurant "DAD, DAD, OCARINA OF TIME. THEY HAVE IT. IT'S THERE!', he actually took me back into the store and he bought it for me. I loved Ocarina of Time. And since I was young, I was like those people on the Internet that can't stand other people's opinions. 'THEY ONLY GAVE OCARINA OF TIME 98/100?! WTF, IT'S A PERFECT 100!'.... gosh, I can't believe I just admitted to being one of those idiots. But it's all in the past now. I've learned to accept that even if other people consider Quest 64 trash, it can still be one of my most beloved games. And people might love Xenoverse, but I hate it, and that's just fine as well.

 Anyways, eventually I'd meet Final Fantasy VII(PC Port baby!) and my eyes were opened to the existence of this fantastic little gem that I felt was waaay superior to Ocarina of Time. It's one of the reasons I abandoned Nintendo once the Gamecube hit and opted for the PS2. That and Tekken. Regardless, throughout the years my opinion on Ocarina of Time has always been that it's a good game, but incredibly overrated....

 ...But maybe I need to give it a second chance, with better graphics and a better interface, on the 3DS. That and the fact that I was an idiot and sold all my N64 games in order to get a Ps3, which I regret every single day of my life, so unless I want to play an emulated version, the 3DS it is. And this is why I want Ocarina of Time 3D to be my review #300. Because it's a game that meant a lot to me once. Because it's a game that even if I don't consider to be as amazing as most other people, it still has a spot on my heart.
 So here's to you, Ocarina of Time. Here's to playing more games. And here's to making Final Fantasy VII my review #500!

No comments:

Post a Comment