Sunday, October 5, 2014

Super Smash Bros for 3DS

 "For" 3DS. Get it? "Four" Smash Bros "Four" 3DS.
 I was trying to keep myself away from the Demo, as to play the game in full once it arrived, but it's gonna take a while and I couldn't contain myself any longer...

 Firstly, it feels much faster and much better than Brawl. It's not quite as fast as Melee, and the characters aren't as slippery, but it's definitely faster than Brawl. I've put about one and a half hours in, and this is my favorite speed, so far.

 People were dubious of Sakurai when he said that each character was made from scratch, and they do feel new. Maybe it's because of the new speed, but the animations feel different, a good different. Speaking of speed, the game runs flawlessly at 60 FPS and it looks beautfiul, but the 30 FPS Assist trophies and Pokemon look quite... ugly, particularly the Nintendog, but I understand sacrifices had to be made, and I can live with that.

 I tried out all the characters at least twice, Megaman and Villager, the two available newcomers, feel amazing, they are incredibly fun to play as and are very unique. Villager has a Down+B that changes depending on the state of the plant he, well, plants with the first down+b. The next downward special becomes a water sprinkling move which pushes away enemies or turns the sapling into a tree, and it also turns the next uses of Down+B into an axe chop. It's awesome. And the Side B? SO. GOOD. Megaman has so much variety on his moves it's crazy, what he lacks in comboability he makes up in usability, he has so many attacks, many of them ranged, and most of them have a huge area of effect. And the Final Smash is just epic, having the other Mega Mans changing colors to match NES Mega Man would've been the cherry on top, but I'm not complaining.

 As for the veterans, Link has a dashing+A, which isn't as useful as the thrust he used to have, but it feels really good and look cool to boot. Mario remains the same basically, but I was never much of a Mario player, I think I only used him thoroughly in the N64 version. And then there's Pikachu, with his changed Down+B, which I'm indifferent to, and... is it me or his Final Smash really... bad? I seem to remember it packing a bigger punch.

 All in all I had a blast, I'm loving it so much. The only problem would be the controls, but... It's Smash Bros on the go. ON THE GO.

1 comment: