Monday, February 18, 2013

Metroid: (please play) Other M(etroids)

 This game.... man... this game...
 So, the controls ruined the game, it couldn't get any worse than that, right? It does.
 One of my biggest gripes, is how the game often ends a cut-scene with Samus in first-person view, and the game makes you look(Not just aim at it, you have to hold a button while pointing at a specific place in the screen) at points of interest. Not only is it jarring on such an arcade-like game, but it's a chore. Most of the time, you have to realize that you are trying to find a logo, but the game doesn't offer you any pointers. Some of my... favorite moments were:
 -Sector 1, one of your allies is dead, so someone states "Who could've done this?".... so I'm guessing I have to look at the body? Nope. Maybe there's a monster nearby? Nope. Perhaps I have to analyze the other soldiers and they'd talk to me? Nope. After wasting at least 5 minutes going in circles trying to find whatever I was looking for, I spot blood on the floor. Dark green blood on a light green floor. And I'm supposed to notice that it's not just more folliage? Goddamn.
 -Sector 3, there's a cutscene where they show someone looking at Samus, so I guess I have to look at her(Even though the only reason I know she is there is 'cause I saw it on a cut-scene). I look. No reaction. After searching, I tried again and... it worked.. Seems I had to point at a very specific place. THESE MOMENTS ARE SO MUCH FUN(Bold and Caps? Sh!t just got real).
 This is more of a nitpick, but still worth mentioning: There are places you have to climb. Some of these(At least 3 and counting) have perfectly functional stairs. But no, Samus is too cool for stairs, so you have to find some roundabout way of getting on top of it, usually involving the use of the Morph Ball.
 Oh, and speaking of things that make no sense, Samus finds a Scientist, and she thinks to herself "I have to protect her", so how does she do it? After telling her to "Run", on a facility where monsters are acting more agressive than usual, on a facility where a traitor(more on him soon) may be lurking around, not only does she not mention the scientist to her superior, but she leaves the scientist to her own devices while she does some stuff in another zone. "I have to protect her" but you leave her by herself on a very, very dangerous place? Logic.
 Ah, the traitor. Where to begin? Hm, the fight with Samus, I guess. So Mr. Traitor gets on some vehicle and tries to kill Samus and the scientist, Samus beats him, and when Samus goes to check the cockpit, he is gone(Classic). Thing is, there was no possible way that he could've gotten away without Samus seeing him. There was no big explosion, and the area was very empty, barring some boxes, so Samus would've seen him get away. And the fact that there was no way to go other than the entrance from where Samus came from(Which was now inaccesible) or the door that leads to Sector 2. Samus should have seen him get away. And then the naming. Samus doesn't know who he is, so she calls him "The Deleter". Why? Why not just call him The Traitor, as she has been calling him so far? "But she doesn't know who he is or what his name is!". Exactly. The Traitor and The Deleter serve the same function. It's dumb, specially since Samus doesn't tell or plans on telling anyone about him, it's quite unnecesary.
 This game, man.... this game...

No comments:

Post a Comment