Saturday, June 4, 2022

Game #1193: SSX

 Gonna leave'em cold.

 I don't know why, since I'm not particularly fond of Snowboarding, but somehow... I own quite a few snowboarding games. Trick 'n' Snowboarder, Snowboard kids, CoolBoarders, Dark Summit and, now, SSX. I know that this game received plenty of high scoring reviews back in the day, unlike the other Snowboarding games I own, so how did I end up feeling about it?

 Well... It's alright. The game has a fairly simple control scheme, hold down X to jump, like Tony Hawk, and then use the shoulder buttons to perform grabs, you can hold down more than two to perform different grabs. The right analog stick can be used to smack nearby boarders. Landing tricks nets you adrenaline, which can be used with the square button to go even faster. The square button can also be used as a trick modifier while on the air. Something that never felt very comfortable with me was that as soon as you start charging your jump you lose the ability to move left or right, so once you hold down the button you have to commit to the jump. The spinning was also rather odd, as you must hold down the direction you want to spin in before jumping. This probably felt so alien to me because I'm so used to the Tony Hawk games, and this just didn't feel very comfortable to me.

 There are two ways to play the game, World Circuit and Single Event. World Circuit is sort of like the single player campaign, in which you try to earn Gold Medals to unlock stuff. There are 8 racers total, and you can unlock two alternate costumes and boards for each, as well as six different courses. There's an alright training mode that teaches you how to play, and you can play in three different ways: Race against other boarders, Show Off, which is based around doing tricks and Free Run, which lets you play for fun.

 Well... I can't say I found the game to be amazing, and I don't think I agree with how popular the game was. Honestly, it's pretty similar to all the other snowboarding games I've played! What I'll give it is that the tracks are probably the best I've played in a snowboarding game... yet.

6.0

No comments:

Post a Comment