Thursday, September 3, 2020

Game #851: Dino Crisis

 Survival Horror devolved.
 Well, it's September, and Halloween is better enjoyed with a two-month celebration, so I'll ease into Horroctober with Dino Crisis. I've always said that Resident Evil was more Action than Survival Horror, at least since Resident Evil 2, but this game? Oh boy, this game...

 Ammo is incredibly scarce and most of your guns are incredibly weak, it takes about 10-12 bullets to down a velociraptor, this game's basic zombie, and while Regina can walk while aiming, it's slow and the raptors are barely fazed by your shots. That said, healing items are overly plentiful, so it's kind of like a reversed Resident Evil, which gave you more ammo than health pick ups.

 Not only are raptors way deadlier than REvil's zombies, they also pack more means to hurt you and can chase you down faster. The game takes place in a research facility, an excuse to let you trigger laser walls inside a few corridors in order to gate enemies away from you. It really feels like a real survival horror game, because I quickly learned that guns were worthless and learning to evade enemies was the name of the game.

 To add to the feeling of helplessness, raptors can jump over a few gates as well as smash through some doors, so unlike Resident Evil you aren't completely safe when entering a different room. As a matter of fact, Regina can lose her grip on her gun when attacked, which means you have to retrieve it from the floor, hardcore! To make matters worse, there's the bleeding status effect that may trigger when harmed, when bleeding you'll gradually take damage as you move. You need to use health packs to recover your health, but only Hemostats can fix a bleeding wound

 There's an awful 'Danger' mechanic that isn't explained in game, so I had to resort to my instruction booklet. Sometimes, during cutscenes, a Danger sign will appear below the screen, you must then mash buttons if you don't want to take damage. I thought it was dumb.

 You can save an unlimited amount of times but only when exiting specific rooms, labeled with an S on the map. These rooms are incredibly sparse, which makes it tougher than REvil. The Storage boxes also function differently, you need Plugs, key items, to open them, and they only connect between other boxes of the same color. On the flip side, while your inventory is rather small, key items don't take up these precious slots.
 While this game has tank controls and fixed camera angles, the entire game, meaning characters and environments, are fully 3-D. It's one of the best looking games on the system, easily. There's no slowdown either, and they pulled some sneaky moves to make the T-Rex look really scary with the PS1's weak hardware.

 There are 4 points in the game in which you can select from two different routes, adding some replay value to the game. There are also 3 different endings. Overall, the game took me little more than four hours to complete, and I unlocked a minigame in which you must hunt down a number of dinosaurs under a set amount of time.

 The game is a bit too vague and sometimes figuring out what to do can be tough. I had to consult a FAQ at least twice because I had no idea where to go or what I had missed. There's this one time in which you can't advance any further until you try to interact with a other you can't open yet because you are missing the N disc key. That's dumb, because I had checked the door earlier and I knew that I was missing the key item necessary to open the door, but I was just desperate going in circles not knowing what to do. Oh, and you don't keep memos you read, so any code or password you find? Write it down.

 I'll grant it this, the game is scarier than Resident Evil... at first. Raptors are quick and have various different attacks, you have to contend with the possibility of bleeding to death and you can have your gun knocked out of your hands... but then you'll notice that you'll be swamped with healing supplies. What the game lacks in ammo you get in health packs. Heck, there's a moment in the game in which Regina is parted from her gun by a Dinosaur. I picked it up, but didn't equip it again, because guns were useless. Thus, I spent the next two hours running around, unarmed, avoiding dinos like a pro. And by the end of the game, all three supply boxes were filled to the brim with healing items.

 There are no true bosses in the game. A Tyranosaurs Rex hunts you down every now and then, but most of the time you can just escape the room or 'defeating' it means running around for a set amount of time. After realizing how useless the gun was, I finished the game with healing items to spare and I only killed 3 dinosaurs, the first one was the one that made me realize it was a waste of time, and the other two were in my way, so I used the Lethal Poison Dart, which is an instant kill. I had three of those darts, but missed the third one, so I just reverted to evasive maneuvers. 

 Honestly? I prefer the REvil approach of having more ammo than health pick ups, but I still enjoyed Dino Crisis. Funnily enough, I think the REvil approach would've worked better in this game, since dinosaurs are far deadlier than zombies, so a more guns ablazing approach would fit the game. I don't think it's quite as good as say REvil 2, but it's a fun time if you enjoy the genre.

7.0

No comments:

Post a Comment