Thursday, November 7, 2019

The DLC Report: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC #4 - Terry Bogard

 BUSTAH WOLF!
 Full disclosure, I absolutely adore SNK fighting games, while I'm not too fond of Fatal Fury, at least until Garou - Mark of the Wolves, which is one of my favorite games of all time, I actually really like Terry. Like Top 10 fighting game characters kind of like. So, trust me, I'm a bit of a Terry nut... and yet, I can't help but feel like this choice was lame. Nintendo hasn't had much history with Fatal Fury, sans a few ports of the pre-Real Bout games on the SNES, and while Fatal Fury technically was the first King of Fighters, in title only, I don't think Terry was such an amazing choice.

 Terry fights like the Street Fighter characters, but a bit worse. Just like them, they 'face' opponents, as if it were a 2-D fighting game, which makes his movements feel a bit stiff. He also has stronger versions of his Special moves by inputting the commands from his games, they even kept the Rising Tackle's charge inputs! When Terry reaches 100% damage, he gets unlimited use to two super moves, which can only be done through inputs. They feel a bit awkward to use, since I'm always scared Terry will turn around and ruin my inputs. He also gets two different side B, pressing Side+B towards the opponent produces the Burnin' Knuckle, while pressing Side+B against the opponent will produce the Crack Shot. That sounds neat, but in practice, a ton of times I wanted to use my Side+B to attack an enemy on the other side, only to end up using his other Side+B against an enemy that's further away from me. It feels very clunky and cost me a few deaths. Even Ryu and Ken turn around for their Side+Bs, so this extra move feels like an extra handicap.
 Terry's stage has invisible walls around it which can only be broken by pushing the enemy against them with a ton of power, it's the stage's sole gimmick. Instead of gimmicks and hazards, this stage features a ton of different possible cameos from King of Fighters characters, which is a bit endearing. A bit.

 I dunno, yo. I really like Terry, and I love the fact that this means I can get a Terry amiibo, but I think he was a lackluster choice and he isn't very fun to play in Smash due to how his side+b works. Honestly, I would've felt much better about Terry if he had been on the roster from the start and wasn't an extra.
 5.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment