Sunday, October 18, 2015

Review #258: Animal Crossing Wild World

 Can't say I didn't try!
 I tried, I did. I wanted to like it, I really, really did... but I just found it so dull, so ironically lifeless for a 'slice of life' game. I don't doubt that there's an audience for this game, the amount of sequels it's gotten is a testament of that, but.... I'm just not part of that audience, I find the game painfully dull and boring, and I'll elaborate a bit on why.

 Just as in the Gamecube iteration, you arrive on a town inhabited by anthropomorphic animals, and while you are given a house to live in... you are expected to pay for it, at your leisure. So that's your first goal, implying that the game has goals, which it doesn't, to pay off the house, and in doing so, you'll be able to expand your house. And why would you want to? Easy, in order to fit more furniture inside! Each town is randomly generated each time you begin a new file, and so does every animal that inhabits your town, although new ones will arrive and others will leave after a while.
 On the outset, it seems like there's a lot to do. You can talk to the different inhabitants and do them favors, like fetching them something from another neighbor or some kind of insect, and they'll repay you with money, furniture or clothes. You can also chop down trees, plant trees or flowers, fish, collect bugs, dig for fossils or collect fallen fruit from trees, and you can either sell all your junk for money or donate pertinent items to the museum, if you are into that. If this sounds fun to you, more power to you... I just couldn't get into the game. At all. Maybe I make it sound more boring than it really is, but it felt boring to me. To add insult to injury, the classic NES games that were unlockable in the Gamecube version are gone.

 The framerate has also dipped into 30, if not lower. If you haven't played the Gamecube game, you probably won't be bothered by it, but it's hard not to notice, not that FPS matters in a game like this. And while the game allows you to create up to four characters, like the previous iteration, all four players must live on the same house this time around, so if many players share one cartridge it could lead to some domestic disputes over furniture decoration! On the plus side, the game is no longer divided in a grid, but rather it's one continuous cylindrical world.
 What's there left for me to say that I haven't said yet? I didn't like Animal Crossing Wild World, as a matter of fact, I liked it even less than the Gamecube version. Now there, I'm not saying that it's a bad game, it clearly isn't, but it's not a game that can hold my interest, I'm most definitely not part of the target audience of the franchise.
 4.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment