Monday, March 30, 2015

Now Playing: Haunting Grounds

 Pretty flippin' good.
 Where to start... I guess from what I didn't like, since it's like.. just one thing? To put things into perspective, I just played 2 hours straight and only stopped myself because wanted to write this and grab a snack, otherwise, the game's got a solid grip on me! It's that good.

 So, what's the one thing I didn't dislike? This is a Japanese game, and as with 90% of Japanese media, there is fanservice. From the very first scenes in the game, they try to show as much of Fiona's skin as they can, with the moving sheets and why not. And no, they weren't trying to showcase her as vulnerable, the camera angles were not needed! And it got worse. She dresses... decently, but her breasts move all over the place over the tiniest of steps. Seriously. It could be somewhat justified since she isn't wearing a bra, but still... more than a couple of times I went from unnerved to laughing due to how ridiculous the jiggle is. Japan, will they ever learn? Probably not.

 But what did I like? Everything else! The music, graphics and camera angles mix together to creep you out, and it's so beautiful. More than once I would stop what I'm doing since I heard footsteps or what not. And while the Dog/Human duo is hardly original(Dead to Rights, and Shinobi to name a few), in this game it works, since both Fiona and Hewie are not badasses and are certainly not very strong, so their cooperation is a bit more endearing, and it's easier to care about them. Puzzles in the game seem rather easy, two hours into the game, I already made it into the Moon Reflector Room and didn't find myself wondering what to do at any moment

 Something I noticed while playing, is that while the moments before the chase are incredibly tense, and while the atmosphere is pretty dang creepy, the chases themselves are more annoying than anything. I'm not scared while running, and I rarely found myself in danger, so it's more annoying than anything having to run and find a place to hide in order to continue doing whatever the hell I was trying to do. Maybe there will deadlier enemies later on? I... I think I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment