Thursday, August 10, 2023

Game #1337: Knights and Bikes

 They see me cyclin', they hatin'

 Made by the same mind that crafted Tearaway comes Knights and Bikes. This is a puzzle-based adventure game in which you play as a couple of friends who set out on an adventure for treasure

 While it can be played in single player, the game is at its best in multiplayer, as each of the girls gets a different set of tools that double both as weapons and as ways to clear different obstacles. Combat is quite clearly an after-thought, as it feels pointless and drab, which is why it's so surprising just how much combat there actually is in the game. The rest of the game is all about puzzle-solving, and the puzzles themselves are alright, most of the time, but I don't remember the last time I felt so lost when playing a game. And it's baffling really, as this is a very linear game, but so many times we simply didn't know where to go. Should we backtrack? Should we try to find a way forward? Did a new path open up somewhere? Proceeding felt so unclear so many times.

 That said, each girl gets her own bike, and bike customization was kinda cute. I liked accessorizing and painting my bike to suit my taste.... although, for having such an emphasis on your bikes, they are not particularly interesting to ride nor are there interesting courses or stuff to do with them.

 The game goes for 'whacky' when it comes to the story and the characters.... and I can't say I cared about anything. I think I checked out about a third into the game, yadda yadda Demelzia is hunting for treasure yadda yadda she might be insane and imagining everything yadda yadda don't care.

 I'm sorry to say... that even playing this game with my girlfriend was boring. There's something about the game, be it its dumb plot, the minimalistic art-style or the boring gameplay that just lulled me to sleep. There's probably an audience for this game... I'm just not it.

 4.0

No comments:

Post a Comment