Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Review #815: WWF In your House

 Now, if I could get this disc out of my house...
 Every time a company strikes gold they inevitably try again, and that's how WWF In Your House happened. It's... well, it's more of the same. General consensus seems to agree that it's a worse more of the same, but... I'm not too sure about that, I think this game has a few things going for it.

 The wrestler roster has been bumped up to ten. The Undertaker, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels are joined by superstars like Ultimate Warrior, Goldust and a very early Triple H, long before he used the Triple H moniker. The other new guys are Vader, Owen Hart, Ahmed Johnson and the British Bulldog... names that, sadly, mean nothing to me. Considering I can recognize more wrestlers in this game.... I was much fonder of this roster. Each character has their own ring, they look ugly, but at least we've got more than one ring. Speaking of ugly, the new digitized sprites seem much less detailed and more pixelated, and am I crazy or is Owen Hart's sprite tiny? He looks incredibly out of place. Meanwhile, Triple H is already larger than the others, which makes Owen look even more minuscule. ON the flip side, every time you beat the Arcade ladder you get a 5-8 second long highlight reel clip of your wrestler which is a nice, if small, extra.
 Gameplay is pretty much exactly the same, two punches, two kicks, running, head locks, a block button and a very glaring missing movelist. Power ups were added, and can be turned off, which come in the form of White power ups and Red power downs. They are random and sorta lazy, they might heal you, stun you, stun your opponent, make you stronger, make you slower... and you don't really get a clear sign of what you got, except for the stunners. The two unfair Arcade ladders from the original game return, but there's a new 10 match 1-on-1 ladder, thank god, and you can play with up to four players with a multi-tap, not bad!

 Look, it's more of the same. A more recognizable roster made it more inviting for me, but still not enough to make me care about it. The controls still feel sluggish and I hate not having a readily available complete moveset, not even on the instruction booklet, which probably soured me on the game since I had to struggle to guess my character's reversals and headlock throws. When it's all said and done, I'm sorry to report that I can't say I enjoyed either of these games, but I'll give the edge to this one, if only because the roster was more recognizable to me.
 3.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment