Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The DLC Report - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - The Black Order DLC #2 Rise of the Phoenix

 Can DLC actually make a game worse?
 Man, I wish I hadn't purchased the season pass, because it has been utter garbage. I mean, the new characters are fine, I really liked Cable and Gambit, while Ice-man and Phoenix may not be my cups of tea, they are pretty decent... but you have to go through the boring Gauntlets to unlock them, again. Gauntlets are the same Rift-like challenges you have been playing already, on the same stages, battling the same bosses. The new gauntlets feature the new characters as bosses, but that's pretty much nothing. All the updates have been about replaying the same content you've already replayed countless times but under new conditions. LAME. There are new costumes for the previous four DLC characters too.

 And remember, the game already has long loading times as is, so going from arena to arena with no adventure and no story content is incredibly dull and boring, specially because you are treading ground you've already played countless times, between the different difficulty settings, Rifts and Gauntlets. I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting bored and tired of the game. The DLC is making me see this game as a chore. Pro-tip: Don't make me go through tons of loading screens and boring arenas in order to unlock the new characters, that's lame. Want to gate costumes behind slogfests? Fine. But not the characters I paid for.
 The new mode is called Danger Room and it's a 'competitive' take on Gauntlets. Except that you can't even interact with the other team, be it online players or the CPU. It's pretty dumb and the rewards suck.

 Marvel Ultimate 3 was a blast back when it released, and the new characters are pretty fun, but everything else about the new content is dreadful. And it sucks that I have to play through these boring challenges in order to unlock things I paid for. Honestly, I would've preferred a single, story-based expansion as opposed to all these garbage modes.
 2.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment